> Complaint Filing Instructions
Complaint Filing Instructions
Types of Complaints
- Negligent and improper work
- Breach of contract
- Mechanics lien is filed
- Employee claims
- Contractor against a subcontractor
- Subcontractor against a contractor
- Soil, asphalt or concrete testing: labor or material
- Material and/or equipment supplier
Filing a Complaint
- File a Claim Using Our
- The Complaint Filing fee is $25.00, payable through our online platform.
- In your Complaint, please explain possible deficiencies.
- Complainants are required to provide copies of all available supporting documentation required by
the Commission. Said documentation may include, but is not limited to: written contract and
agreements, invoices billings estimates, photos, receipts, canceled checks, time cards, payroll
data, court judgments, binding arbitration awards, and/or notices of counter claims by registrants.
- All supporting documentation can be uploaded securely to our online platform.
Limitations on Complaint Process
- If the investigation determines that the potential monetary damages and/or restitution exceeds
ten-thousand dollars ($10,000), in accordance with R.I. Gen. Laws § 5-65-12(b), the Board may refuse
to continue processing the complaint and refer the complainant to Superior Court.
- If the Hearing Officer determines that a violation of R.I. Gen. Laws Chapters 5-65, 5-65.1, 5-65.2,
5-65.3, 5-73, and/or Parts 1-6 of this Subchapter has occurred, the Hearing Officer may;
- Order that a registrant/licensee complete any unfinished work;
- Return a deposit if no work has commenced;
- Issue fines;
- Suspend or revoke a registration/license; and/or
- Order the contractor to take additional educational classes if necessary.
- A Hearing Officer cannot order the Contractor to pay monetary damages and/or restitution. However,
the payment of monetary damages and/or restitution can be agreed to by the Parties as part of any
- If applicable, a complaint may be brought in the Superior Court, pursuant to R.I. Gen. Laws § 5-65-12.1.